More Than 40 Years Of Immigration Law Counsel

Featured Announcement

FY 2022 H-1B Cap Registration Begins March 8, 2021

The FY 2022 H-1B Cap Registration period will begin March 8, 2021, and end March 26, 2021.

The new H-1B cap registration final rule (86 FR 1676) modifying the H-1B cap selection process, amending current lottery procedures, and prioritizing prevailing wage takes effect on March 8, 2021. Our firm expects this to be the start date of the 2022 H-1B cap registration period, even if Biden withdraws the final rule.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. FAQs
  4.  » 
  5. Other FAQs
  6.  » Wrong Birthdate on Certificate of Naturalization

Wrong Birthdate on Certificate of Naturalization

Location: CA

I was born in Poland, At some point of my life living in Poland my date of birth was got messed up with a wrong year of birth. I was born in 1984 but later in life it was recorded on my documents as 1979. My handicap mom could never get this mistake get corrected. Not too long ago I got in touch with my dad who has never been around me in the past, He has conformed that my date of birth is incorrect . I have immigrated to USA in 1995 as I was 5 year older on the documents. I received a copy of my birth certificate from Poland with my correct DOB on it. I have spoke to 2 Immigration attorneys about changing my DOB but I have been getting different opinions about it, 1 attorney says I will get in trouble by USCIS for lying for 21 years to benefit to become a US citizen, another says it should not be any issues as long as I get the birth certificate with a correct DOB to proof I m looking for advice or opinions, some one who can handle this matter

USCIS Policy on Issuing Certificates of Citizenship with Changed Dates of Birth and Names

Starting June 17, 2014, USCIS will issue an initial or replacement Certificate of Citizenship with a new date of birth or new legal name if a U.S. state court order recognizes the change.

USCIS recognizes that foreign birth records do not always accurately reflect the name or dates of birth of children born abroad. Under the new policy, if adoptive parents provide USCIS with a U.S. state court order that recognizes the child’s correct name or date of birth, USCIS will issue a Certificate of Citizenship with the corrected name or date of birth.

Mr. Smith is an attorney with over 25 years of immigration experience with complex immigration issues and successful filings. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Smith’s statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Experience Icon


Years Experience

Experience Icon


Experience Icon


Experience Icon


Approval Rating