Do I Need a Social Security Number? I am a Foreigner and Would Like to Own a Business in the US

I am starting a company in America but don't have a green card. I will hire other people to run the business. Do I need to have a social security number to register and own the business?

You do not need a Social Security Number to own a US business. The conundrum is the business needs to obtain a Employer Tax Identification number. For the Employer Identification number (EIN), you can say "Foreign Director" in the SS-4 and apply for the EIN through fax/mail with the Internal Revenue Service. For you to open a company bank account and be a signer you need the ITIN or social security number. An experienced employment immigration attorney, business attorney, or accountant should be able to assist you.

Mr. Smith is an attorney with over 25 years of immigration experience with complex immigration issues and successful filings. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Smith's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.