Call for a 15 minute consult

Green Card Holder Marrying Someone on Tn. What Does She Do to Keep a Valid Status?

Green Card Holder Marrying Someone on TN. What Does She Do to Keep a Valid Status?

Location: Aliso Viejo, CA

I am planning to get married to someone on TN Visa from Canada. She is working in Tennessee and I am working in California. If I file for her Green Card after marriage , what is the processing time for her Green Card. She is a Canadian Citizen born in India.

If she has to move to California before getting her GC , does she need to find an employer who can hire her on TN visa? I have a green card at the moment.

The current wait time for spouses of lawful permanent residents to file for permanent residence from the date of filing the I-130 may be found on the Visa Bulletin and at this time it is 16 months. Then green card processing time to follow varies. It is currently about 5 months. You want to file the I-30 as soon as possible. Your spouse must maintain status until she can apply for a green card or you obtain citizenship. TN employment would be one means of your spouse maintaining status. I recommend you consult one of our knowledgeable immigration team about current processing time or other options.

Mr. Smith is an attorney with over 25 years of employment immigration experience with complex immigration issues and successful filings. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Smith’s statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Schedule a consultation


1435 Huntington Ave, Suite 336 South San Francisco, CA 94080


5201 Great America Parkway, Suite 320 Santa Clara, CA 95054

Call for a 15 minute consult