Litwin & Smith, A Law Corporation
Case Status

Litwin & Smith Nationwide FY 2021 H-1B Cap Petition Filing Ends June 30, 2020

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Litwin & Smith provides nationwide H-1B Cap Petition preparation for H1B Cap registrations selected in the H1B Cap lottery. The 90-day filing window for Employers to submit their H1B Cap Petitions end June 30. Don’t delay. File Your Petitions Now. The experienced, trusted law firm of Litwin & Smith will assist you through every step of the petition filing process. Contact Litwin & Smith to receive H-1B Petition assistance.

What do you need to do to get the E-2 classification?

If you are planning on investing in the United States but live in a foreign country, one thing you should look into is an E-2 treaty investor visa. This classification identifies you as a person who is allowed to be admitted into the United States for the purpose of investing capital into U.S.-based businesses.

The E-2 nonimmigrant classification only works for those who are nationals of countries involved in the treaty. If your country is part of the treaty, then you and qualifying family members may be able to come to the United States to live.

What should you do if you're already in the United States and want E-2 classification?

If you want E-2 classification, then you can file form I-129 and seek your status change. Your employer may also do this for you if he or she wants to hire you and you are in the country legally as a nonimmigrant.

How do you get the E-2 classification if you are not living in the United States?

If you aren't in the United States, then you will have to qualify for the E-2 classification by showing that you're a national of a country that has a treaty with the United States for navigation and commerce. You also have to show that you have previously invested or intend to invest substantial capital into a business or enterprise located in the United States. You should also be able to show that you are coming to the United States to direct and develop the enterprise. To show this, you'll have to be able to show that you have at least 50 percent ownership over the business or show that you have a right to possess or control the enterprise because of a managerial position.

What classifies as substantial capital?

Substantial capital is any capital that is substantial when it comes to purchasing or establishing a new enterprise. It must be high enough to ensure that the investor would want to focus on the success of the business and large enough to support the idea that the investor would direct and develop the enterprise successfully. Essentially, the government wants to know that enough funds are being invested that the investor would want to be focused on the continued growth of the business to protect his or her interests.

These are a few things to know about the E-2 classification. It can help you come to the USA if you have enough capital to invest.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Santa Clara Office 5201 Great America Parkway, Suite 320 Santa Clara, CA 95054 Toll Free: 888-344-0892 Fax: 650-588-4302 Santa Clara Law Office Map

South San Francisco Office 1435 Huntington Ave, Suite 336 South San Francisco, CA 94080 Toll Free: 888-344-0892 Fax: 650-588-4302 South San Francisco Law Office Map