Litwin & Smith, A Law Corporation
Contact Us For A Free
10-Minute Telephone Call
View Our Practice Areas

How to hire a foreign employee for short-term work in the US

Approximately 140,000 employment-based immigrant visas are made available each fiscal year to international applicants seeking work in the United States. If you want to hire a foreign national for employment in the U.S., the process can seem overwhelming. Determining which forms to fill out, what government agency they need to go to and when can be a struggle if you do not know where to start.

Form I-129

Under certain circumstances, an employer may file a Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker. This petition is also known as form I-129 and it needs to be registered with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). As an employer, you can complete this paperwork on behalf the prospective foreign national employee. If approved, the future employee can apply for admission into the United States, or for a change of nonimmigrant status, in which they will be able to work or to receive training.

Skills preference

There are numerous temporary employment-based visa categories. Under all of these groups, the foreign national must meet specific requirements for the job covered in the petition. Visa preference categories can range from multinational managers to professionals holding an advanced degree to unskilled workers filling positions that require less than two years training or experience.

Employers must keep USCIS informed of any firings, termination of employment, or changes in the employee's eligibility. In order to update an employee's status, you need to submit a letter to the USCIS Service Center that approved the application. As an employer, you also have many other labor-related responsibilities separate from those required under the immigration laws.

Many businesses find it prudent to hire experience counsel when making decisions about hiring from outside the U.S. A skilled immigration attorney can assist you in navigating the bureaucratic waters when it comes to employment immigration.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Experience Icon



    Years Experience

  • Employers Icon



  • Countries Icon



  • Approval Rating Icon



    Approval Rating

  • ABA Defending Liberty Pursuing Justice
  • Christian Legal Society
  • Avvo | Clients' Choice 2020 | Immigration
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association
  • The Bar Association of San Francisco
  • Federal Bar Association
  • Avvo Clients Choice | Award 2018 | Donald Edward Smith
  • Super Lawyers
  • Best Immigration Lawyers in San Francisco
Email Us For A Response

Schedule A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Santa Clara Office
5201 Great America Parkway,
Suite 320
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Toll Free: 888-344-0892
Phone: 650-588-7100
Phone: 408-998-1159
Fax: 650-588-4302
Santa Clara Law Office Map

South San Francisco Office
1435 Huntington Ave, Suite 336
South San Francisco, CA 94080

Toll Free: 888-344-0892
Fax: 650-588-4302
South San Francisco Law Office Map

Map Map

Phone Numbers